Wednesday, May 13, 2015

All Things Homeschool

Ahhhh, homeschooling.  The simple life of sweet kids, total obedience, a love of learning, neat houses, choir music in the background, pets that never need to be cleaned up after, giggles and laughter all of the time.  You know - perfection!

Nope.  Not even one day.  At least not in this house!

Don't get me wrong, I love homeschooling and I would not change what we do and why we do it for one second, but perfect days?  Nope. Well, not here anyway!

The reality is that just like you, whether you homeschool or not, our days are often hectic. Sometimes there are tears.  Occasionally there are misunderstandings.  And most of the time there is a mom in the background who can feel pretty understaffed and overworked.

Thankfully, there is a God who knows and understands that.  And loves us just the same.

Thankfully, I have a friend who has a heart for homeschooling mothers that knows that too and wrote a devotional just for us!

Jan Burt is the author of All Things Homeschool- 180 Devotions for Homeschooling Mothers.  Jan and I met a few years ago when she was on the Old Schoolhouse Review Crew with me.  She has since moved on to other endeavors but I am blessed to have been able to remain in contact with her and call her friend.  She graciously allowed me to review her newest book so I could tell you all about it.

Let me first tell you up front that I adore this woman.  Many of you that know us will remember that we had a very difficult time watching our oldest go away to a college that was a two days drive from us.  We knew she needed to spread her wings and grow, but it did not make it any easier.  It was hard, friends. I mourned for her like I never thought possible, it was just that bad.  It was then that Jan stepped boldly into my life and asked if she could pray for me as well as for Ashton.  And pray she did.  Her messages of heartfelt encouragement held me close and I never doubted that there was this sweet gal who had never met me in person covering me in prayer daily.  It spoke so boldly to me that I now try hard to do the same for people I know who are struggling.  I know those prayers got us through some pretty dark times and I cannot even begin to tell you how much that simple act of friendship across the miles spoke God's love into my heart.  A fellow mom who understood kept pointing me to the One who understood!

 I assure you, it is with that same love that Jan writes All Things Homeschool.  This beautiful devotion consists of 36 weeks of devotions for the homeschooling mom- to lift, encourage, and speak words of truth into your heart.  Each week is broken into 5 days, clearly marked and easy to follow. I have found that beginning my day with it, usually reading at breakfast, is a great way to get myself in the right frame of mind to do the job that God has currently given me.  Make no mistake, if you are homeschooling, it is where God has you!  Full of scripture and the truth of God's word, Jan's book will encourage you to delight in the task at hand and to cling tightly to the One who has given you that task.  As a homeschooling mom of five with 20 years of experience, Jan knows what you need and how to tell it to you.  Deeply tied to scripture yet easy to understand and read in a few minutes, this is one of the best devotionals for homeschooling moms I have read.

What better way to start the day than with a friend, a prayer, and God!

Thank you Jan!

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!