Wednesday, February 25, 2015

IndoctriNation- Schoolhouse Crew Review

The reason this blog first began was so that I could review homeschool materials.  Yes, I am a homeschooling mom.  And yes, I love curriculum.  Actually, the truth is I love anything that benefits, blesses, and supports families.  Homeschoolers or not!  Because I try hard to keep my finger on the pulse of families and family related products, I had heard of IndoctriNation (produced by Great Commission Films) a while back, but just had not gotten a chance to see it.  This past month I was blessed with the opportunity to receive and watch the DVD of IndoctriNation.  I am not sure exactly what I expected, but I sure got that and more!


IndoctriNation is the brainchild of film producer and homeshool father, Colin Gunn.  Scottish born Colin boards a "big, yellow bus" along with his wife and children to travel to various parts of the United States in an effort to research "public schools and the decline of Christianity in America."

He interviews big names such as R.C. Sproul, Voddie Baucham, Israel Wayne, and Ken Ham, as well as a public school graduate, principles, teachers, and various leaders in government.  The film is also sprinkled with quotes from authors, historians, and men of the faith.   By examining where the public school concept actually came from, (you might be surprised!) Colin seeks to answer the question, can the system be fixed or do we abandon it altogether?  He covers the areas of sexual sin, violence, abortion, drugs and alcohol, and the governments involvement in the classroom.

This 102 minute DVD is for adults, mainly Christian parents, and again, does talk about sensitive issues such as abortion, homosexual relationships, drugs, violence, and alcohol.  I watched it by myself the first time and then with my older children the second time. This gave me time to gather my thoughts first, and then allow us to discuss what we saw, heard and learned together after they had watched the movie.  Yes, it contains some pretty hefty subjects, but IndoctriNation provides a good starting point for some serious family discussions, that while we may not want to have, we must if we are going to send our kids out equipped and ready to face a secular world that is often anti- Christian!

My thoughts-
Wow.  This DVD rocked my world.  I was surprised by facts and percentages.  I was surprised by the quotes.  I was surprised at my misconceptions.  I was surprised at how saddened I was by what I heard.

This movie truly does not come off as an attack on public schools.  It is not a hate film or some paranoid society propaganda.  It simply is a presentation of the facts and opinions of many people out there - even everyday people like you and me.  It explores the reasons that over 70% of people say that public schools are not good, but think that their child's school is somehow the one that is different.  Or that people argue that Christian kids need to be salt and light in schools and yet if those same kids (or teachers for that matter) mention the name Jesus, they will be kicked out.

And the quotes!  Here's one for you-

"Is there anything more radical in the history of the human race than turning your children over to total strangers who you know nothing about about and having that stranger work on your child's mind out of your sight for a period of 12 years?"

Yep, speaks truth to me!

I will have to say that one of the most compelling parts of the movie for me came near the end with the interview of a father of one of the students who was killed in the Columbine school shooting.  As he recounted the last conversation he had with his son, how he heard about the shootings, and how he learned of his son's death, I was moved to tears.  One of his comments was, "I'm the one who put him there. And I am the one responsible for his death."  Heartbreaking for anyone to hear.  Eye opening as well.

.

We are all parents who love our kids.  Who want them to be safe.  Who want them to get a good education.  IndoctriNation compels you to look at all of the facts and make an informed decision.  Not by the world's standards, but by God's.  I would encourage you to do the same.

You can purchase IndoctriNation DVD for $19.95.

You can find IndoctriNation on the following social medias-

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IndoctriNationMovie
Twitter: https://twitter.com/indocmovie
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/indoctrination
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/IndoctriNationMovie

IndoctriNation DVD Review
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!