Monday, January 26, 2015

Do YOU Have Time For Extracurriculars?

Welcome to week four - our final week of the Virtual Curriculum Fair! I hope you have had lots of fun exploring some "new-to-you" blogs and learning about some new curriculum.  This week our hosts are Susan at Homeschooling Hearts & Minds and Lisa at Golden Grasses.


This week is a fun one for me- Seeking Beauty: the Arts and Everything that Brings Beauty to Our World.  For us, that equals extracurricular activities.

Unfortunately for my kiddos, I am not an arts-and-crafts kind of gal.  If something calls for scissors and glue, I tend to pass it by. Sad, but true.  We used to do fun stuff like that when I was schooling just one, but I am older and wiser, or maybe just more tired now.

Luckily, I do like Artistic Pursuits curriculum and so every once in a while my kiddos get to explore art.  In high school I also require that they do a half a semester of art appreciation and music appreciation with a program I put together.  I am also currently reviewing a program called Our Homeschool Art Studio which is exceptional.  You choose the grade your child is in, pop the DVD in and go!

The biggest extracurricular activity for our kids is a foreign language.  We begin early and just try to have fun, so by the time they reach highschool it should be a breeze. (In theory, of course!)  We have tried many out there and I have several I love, so be patient with me.  As I have said often, find out what your child's learning style is and cater to that!  You will benefit in the end!

Elementary- Song School Spanish
Upper Elementary- Flip Flop Spanish
Middle School- Spanish For You and Excellerate Spanish
High School- Rosetta Stone - I am going to be honest with you here, Rosetta Stone is not my favorite, BUT it is widely accepted by colleges as a complete high school course, so I use it.

Above all I would recommend Homeschool Spanish Academy!  We have taken off this past semester due to the craziness of our lives and have missed it immensely.  There is no better way to learn a language than to speak it with a native speaker.  Skyping with Mrs. Rosa in Guatemala was way out of my comfort level at first, but we loved her immediately and more importantly CJ loved her and learned so much.  The pages we printed out each week are added to our Spanish notebook and give us a guide to study until the next lesson. We are eager to begin again in the spring!


One more word about extracurricular-type activities.  If you have a homeschool co-op in your town, I would suggest you check them out.  Not all are created equal, and I understand the need to pick and choose, but if you find a good one- go!  It is a great way to make friends, learn new things, and socialize! (You, not the kids! haha!)  My kids have done classes this year in art, speech, history and more!

As a matter of fact, next week I want to tell you about two great classes- Men Mentoring Minors and Growing Godly Girls and how I snuck an etiquette class in for fun!

Here are some fellow bloggers talking about what makes their homeschool days beautiful-

The Art of Organization…or How Clutter Almost Ruined My Homeschool by Susan @ Homeschooling Hearts & Minds
The Shadow of Divine Perfection by Lisa @ Golden Grasses
Relaxed Homeschooling: Fine Arts in the Early Elementary Years by Brittney @ Mom's Heart
Fine Arts {Art Appreciation, Art, Composer Study Hymn Study} for 2015 by Chareen @ Every Bed of Roses
Adding Sparkle to Home Education by Sarah @ Delivering Grace
And All the Extras by Christy @ Unexpected Homeschool
Teaching Art Using the Bible by Tauna @ Proverbial Homemaker
Art In Every Subject by Kym @ Homeschool Coffee Break
Letting Art Just Happen in Homeschool by Amy @ One Blessed Mamma
Missing Art? by Kristen H. @ Sunrise to Sunset
Fine Arts in Our Classical / Charlotte Mason Homeschool by Sharra @ The Homeschool Marm
The Science of Beauty for a Delight-Directed Daughter by Susan @ The Every Day of Education
Seeking Beauty: How we Tackle the Arts in our Homeschool by Joelle @ Homeschooling for His Glory
Learning To Appreciate Beauty With Fine Arts Resources@ As We Walk Along the Road by Leah@ As We Walk Along the Road

Until then,
Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. I'm not an Arts and Craft person either, so I hope the kids get enough creative activities in with the few projects we do in addition to activities at church and co-op. I agree co-op is a great place for extracurricular classes--my boys adored their LEGO class last semester!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!