Friday, September 7, 2012

Slow Cooker Recipes! Week 2

Have you heard of Erin at 5 Dollar Dinners?  I have mentioned her before.  Not because I get anything from it, mind you, but just because I LOVE her site.  She is a wealth of information on saving money and recipes, and now has three cookbooks.  I have the first two and love them!  (Won both of them!)  She is the mom of several young boys and one on the way, so the recipes are always family friendly.

Anyway, often she posts slow cooker recipes as well, so today's is from her website.  Be sure to hop over and check it out



Alea’s Slow Cooker Taco Soup

Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 6 hours

Ingredients

  • ~1/2 pound hamburger, browned
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup bell pepper diced
  • 1 3/4 cups cooked or 15.5 oz. can black beans
  • 1 3/4 cups cooked or 15.5 oz. can white beans
  • 2 cups cooked rice
  • 1 3/4 cups or 15.5 oz. can frozen corn
  • 3 1/2 cups or 2 15.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
  • 15 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
  • 1 cup crushed chips
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese

Directions

  • If necessary, brown hamburger.
  • Add hamburger, onion, bell pepper, beans, corn, rice, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and taco seasoning to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours.
  • Ladle soup into bowls. Top with crushed chips and cheese.


Just for the record, it is thick, but we liked it that way.  Well, those of us that like beans.  A few had to just get over themselves.  I am like that sometimes!  ;)
Hope this week finds you with cooler temperatures, a slow cooker going and a smile on your face.

 
As for me...have I mentioned that my slow cooker died on me?  Seriously, WILL. NOT. WORK!
Which WILL. NOT. DO!  So I am off to buy another one.  Or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!