Friday, March 30, 2012

Southerners and Shrimp

I am a Southerner...lived most of my childhood in NC.  But, that being said, we often tell people we are Southern traitors...we have lived most of our married life in the west...and we really like it out there.  We like the snow, we like the mountains, we like the wide open spaces, we like the absence of bugs, hurricanes and humidity.  But I do LOVE southern food!  And my sweet Southern friends.  So today I decided to treat you to a Southern recipe from one of my sweetest southern friends, Daphne...who is an amazing cook and a true Southern lady!  (Ask me about her Gumbo recipe sometime)  Apparently her hubby invites friends over and promises them shrimp so she will have to fix this recipe...sneaky, isn't he?!


Cajun Shrimp (Southern Living Cooking School, 1999
1 Oven Bag (large size—14 x 20-inch)
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 stick butter, melted
1 to 2 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning (I usually use Tony’s and almost always the whole 2 Tbsp. but I am from Louisiana!)
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 lb. unpeeled, large shrimp (I usually buy the 2 lb. bag of frozen shrimp that have been deveined and thaw them. I have used fresh shrimp but the frozen have already been deveined)
8 (3 inch) ears frozen corn, thawed
Preheat oven to 350.
Place oven bag in a rectangular baking dish. Add flour to oven bag; twist end of bag and shake.
Add butter, Cajun seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice to the oven bag. Squeeze bag to blend ingredients. Add shrimp and corn. Close the bag with the nylon tie. Turn the shrimp and corn to coat them with the butter mixture. Arrange in an even layer.
Cut 6 (1/2 inch) slits in the top of the bag.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until shrimp are done.

*************

So it is not chocolate, but it is the next best thing in my opinion.  All I need is a rocking chair, a beach view and Daphne to cook for me...I may be convinced to become a Southerner again...at least for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!