Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Boys Just Wanna Have Fun!

Boys, they wanna, wanna have fun!  I know that is not how the song goes.  I will even age myself by admitting that I can sing that song almost in its entirety to you (I won't, but just know I can) and once had the hair and clothes to match.  But, my girls are getting older, sigh, and don't really play much anymore, so it's the boys turn to take over the house.  Ponies, Polly Pockets and a certain purple dinosaur are things of the past.  Those sweet, innocent playthings have been replaced by Legos, weapons (we'll save that post for another day) and tents!

Just for the record, we did do some school yesterday.  Most of it.  But we also got a little sidetracked along the way.



See?  Tents and tunnels took over our formal living room. (who needs that wasted space anyway?)  And thanks to big sister's help, a mini campsite was erected, school pushed to the side, and the playing commenced.

Lots of playing!  And lots of fun!

And so I reminded myself that one of the glories of homeschooling is that sometimes, just sometimes, family and fun get to come first.  I let them play for hours.  Can I just tell you how it makes my heart smile to hear my 4 1/2 year old and 10 year old playing like they are best friends?  Cool!  The giggles, the creativity...the gift!  After all, a child's work should be play, and I am not in a hurry to make them grow up.
School is great...sometimes play is even better.


And I actually got a few things done today around the house.  A win win situation, wouldn't you say?

2 comments:

  1. I love those playhut tents. They have taken up my living room on many a day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love hearing from you!